Saturday, April 2, 2011

and pass the Alfredo sauce...

Cooking! Feh!

We've hit a tired stretch when it comes to dinner. Usually, the kids want three piles of food on their plates -- cow/pig/chicken, noodles/rice/potatoes, and a vegetable. This went on for years, but now The Boy is tired of it. He doesn't want to try anything new -- he's just tired of the old food. But if I have to eat one more piece of baked chicken with brown rice, I'm going to scream.

I've tried dressing up what we usually eat -- sauteed veggies in the rice, cheese sauce for the veggies, barbecue sauce on the chicken -- but it only makes it too spicy for The Boy, too gooey for The Husband, and too weird for The Girl.

I've been tired of the meat-n-potatoes diet for years, so lately I've been experimenting. I made crock pot pulled pork, pasta primavera with cream sauce, pizza pasta bake. Do they like it? No. If it's the least bit bland, The Girl won't eat it. If it's the least bit spicy, The Boy won't eat it. And after 20 years of marriage, I find out that The Husband doesn't like creamy sauces. I actually threatened them with hot dogs, and they all said, "Yay!!"

But the real kicker? The coup de grace? The real kick in the panties? Apparently, The Husband does not feel that it is his responsibility to clean up the kitchen when dinner is an experiment. Apparently, "fun" cooking must be washed by the person having the "fun".

When my family complains about the boring/weird food, I always ask, "What would you rather eat? What do you like to eat?" And you know what they say -- "I don't know." Tomorrow, "I don't know" may turn out to be scalloped potatoes with ham in the crock pot. Feck 'em. I'm eating cream sauce.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree. If you're gonna have all the "fun," you might as well get something out of it for yourself.

shelly said...

Eat your cream sauce and enjoy it---eventually they'll get sick of pbj's and hot dogs ;)

Anonymous said...

I cook for me once a week and they get one option if they don't like it: a bowl of oatmeal.

LeAnn Knight said...

I got tired of hearing "I don't know" when I asked what my guys wanted for dinner, so I stopped asking. They eat what I make or they go without.
Pass the cream sauce!