Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dinner at the Ritz

Well, if I'm going to keep this blog, I may as well write in it, eh?

Let's see. Last night, I left the kids with my mom and went to a university function with The Husband. It was just a little dinner, but it felt like dinner at the Ritz. I had a beer and everyone at the table used silverware. Woo-hoo!

The Boy was totally terrified by my mother. I mean, she is intimidating, but really? She barked at him once or twice. ("Get back here and finish setting this table." "Don't let your sister beat the laptop on the table!") She initially was not going to let him play Wii after dinner, but relented when they established that he usually does. But after the laptop incident, he just sent himself to bed, as preemptive punishment. He told The Husband and me outrageous lies about the "mean" things she did to him, including denying him dessert and Wii, as well as "swinging the cat around by his tail and throwing him at The Girl". Heh? The anxious brain is a mysterious thing...

Anyway, I had key lime pie and adult conversation, so it was all okay.

Last weekend, I steam cleaned all the carpets in the house, so this weekend, I'm going to paint The Girl's room. The weekend after that is for stripping and waxing the kitchen floor. Can you tell I'm having company in May? Yeah... I'm also planting a lawn. What the heck, why not?

Speaking of gardening, both of my orange trees are a-goner. The navel is just planted too close to the elm, so it has permanent sooty mildew. (Who knew that elm tree would be so wide?) The pineapple orange is dying, and I'm not sure why. I'm thinking it was the "severe" cold this winter, but who really knows about these things? Oranges have so many freaking blights that all bets are really off. I was just starting to get reasonable fruit from that tree, too. If I replant, I'm getting another pineapple orange. Mmm. Lots of seeds, but delicious.

Anyway, that's about it. This week in homeschool, I found that The Husband is nearly too short to be a Roman Legionnaire. And he wouldn't be allowed to marry me anyway. ;) I'm sure there's more, but hey, everyone has stopped sleeping again, and I can't remember much more. Gotta start locking my door again.

In the mean time, I'll be plotting my escape again -- maybe next time to Taco Bell!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Taco Bell scares me. Plant diseases suck. I love when the kids exaggerate/invent things to make it all seem SO much worse. I love that you got to have silverware and key lime pie. These are my random thoughts as I was reading your post. Good luck with the lawn!

Anonymous said...

Dinner OUT with grownups! That must have been heaven!
Bummer about your trees--how frustrating.