Sunday, May 2, 2010

Still nothing to do but wait.

My sister called from the road. She had been heading back home from my niece and her newborn preemies when she got the call. The larger of the two has given it up. So, back around she turned. My niece was sobbing. It makes me cry to think about it.

It turns out we were right about the twin-to-twin transfusion. Basically, the twins shared not only a placenta but some blood vessels as well. One twin had more of the blood, overloading her heart, and the other had very little, making her tiny.

Even my anesthesiologist friend told me this morning that given their condition, if the smaller twin could hang on, she actually had a better chance of making it than the larger. She was right. I bet doctors hate it when they're right.

Anyway, we're down to Lil Bit, bruised, wrinkled, skinny, and very precious, clinging to life.

I can't even pray. I don't feel up to it. What if we beg God to let us keep her and he doesn't? That's too much pressure. All we can do is wait.

No comments: