Saturday, May 8, 2010

I have so many great ideas for blog posts...

but only in the shower. I swear I think of two or three witty bon mot with which to adorn my blog entries, but by the time I'm dry and dressed -- *poof* -- they're all gone. Along with my shopping list.

Hmm. I did find a new book to read while I was doing my shift at the food coop: Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole. Yeah, it's a bit apocalyptical (and probably apocryphal in places) but it doesn't talk down to me. The author basically condemns the new capitalism for overproducing and then creating needs, most of which require us to behave like babies. And the babyish behavior results in our looking at issues in black-and-white terms, thus leading to the downfall of a compassionate society. Whew! Naturally, he's a much better writer than I am, but he hasn't suffered the sleep deprivation that I have. ;) I can't WAIT to see how it turns out!

No comments: