Friday, May 7, 2010

Springtime, when a woman's thoughts turn to...

Curriculum! Betcha didn't see that one coming... Unless you're homeschooling, and then you're just tired of hearing about everyone else's.

I'm looking at some language arts material that may be in the Classical realm -- Michael Clay Thompson's language arts from Royal Fireworks Press.

It's pretty sophisticated, but The Boy has been complaining that the Calvert language is too easy and boring. I have to admit, he's way past the grammar, spelling, and phonics that they're doing, but his writing (organizing the ideas and putting them down) is way behind. He also doesn't read alone yet. He's a wordsmith, but not necessarily a linguist. ;) I'm doing writing on the side using Writing with Ease Level 1, but only for the listening comprehension and summarization. (If he can say it, he can write it.)

I love Calvert's social studies and science, and I really need their structure and "deadlines", but their books are on Amazon, and I think I can get the lesson plans from one of my girlfriends. I've already chosen Saxon Math.

What else is there, besides music? ;)

No comments: