Friday, May 14, 2010

my weight "problem" and my niece's problem...

I don't know if this is a confession or just a gripe. Maybe it's a confession that I've been griping?

I have lost 20 pounds since last fall. I feel pretty darned good about it, especially since I'm *gasp* 47 years old. But it only means that I've moved from "obese" to "overweight". How can 5'11" and 185 pounds be overweight?

Gee. On "paper", that weight does look pretty high. Still -- what idiot decided that the healthy weight for me is 150? Freakin' 150 pounds? No way...

On another completely different note, my niece has decided to go back to being a wise ass, potty mouth barfly -- at least for a little while. She has nothing else right now, since she has no other obligations and can't go back to work yet. I can't say I blame her too much, really.

I just wish she'd take a look at what just happened and think about her future a little more. She's not ready to think about "what just happened" just yet. But soon, she's going to have to start thinking about what she wants for her future and her future children. A better-paying job? A career that allows her to support children? An education so she can have a career that will allow her to support children? A retirement account? This child is 22 years old and has no ideas yet. IMHO, it's time she started thinking. Her mom agrees, but I'm not sure it matters much what either of us think. At some point, you just can't do much more than leave the porch light on.

No comments: