Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fire!

Well, first a shout-out to the midwestern sistahs today. Sorry about those tornadoes. Hm.

I'm-a gonna let you finish, but first I wanna say... See those cars?



One of them was mine. Apparently, as Brian Williams tells us, "A wildfire is sweeping across central Florida tonight... 16,000 acres already burned, with the fire only 25 percent contained... Even I-95 was closed for a while." Tell me about it. I was on my way home from The Big City (and speech therapy) and ran into this. FOUR hours it took me to get home. Fortunately, the area is mostly swamp land. The fire runs over land like this and doesn't build like it does in a redwood forest. The other side of this fire being in mostly swampy land is that there are no other roads to get around it. I-95 and US-1 were both closed Monday evening, and I had to drive back almost to The Big City again before I could drive north. *sigh*

Still, shouldn't complain. It wasn't headed toward my house. And that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh. Mah. Gawd.

That suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Hope they get the fire (and the traffic) contained soon!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! that looks horribly scary--and so does being caught in that type of traffic. That's exactly the sort of situation that results in zombie apocalypses. *shudder*