Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nuthin happenin. Must be that time of year.

Another week, another obligatory post. ;)

I swear, nothing happened this week. Honest -- I would have told you!

The Boy finished up Ancient Greece and can now tell you what fuels hurricanes. The Girl read me the caption of a magazine picture this week -- it was something she wanted me to know! That was weird -- but cool.

I made sausage and rice casserole last night. I asked my mom for the recipe she used when we were kids, and she sent me a scan of the recipe -- in my grandmother's handwriting!
Fry and drain a pound and a half of bulk sausage. Set it aside and fry a chopped onion, four ribs of sliced celery, a chopped bell pepper, and a can (?) of mushrooms. Put the sausage back into the pot with the vegetables and add a can of chicken and stars soup, a can of water, and a cup of rice. Stir it around once, and either bake in a casserole for an hour -or- cover and cook on the stove for a half hour.
This is serious comfort food. And the tiny carrots in the chicken and stars soup are pretty! The Girl LOVES it -- which means the boy can't eat it. He tasted the casserole, decided he "didn't care for it" (my grandmother's phrase, not his), and had PB&J.

I've started spring gardening about a month too late. Again. It's hot here today -- pushing 80 in the shade where they measure such things. In the sun, it's much hotter. And it could give me a farmer's tan, which is much more serious.

In case you're curious, spring gardening in Florida pretty much involves gallons of RoundpUp, preferably "Extended Control". It's not so much a problem to get things to grow (provided they can survive the heat, humidity, mold, fungus, bugs, and lousy soil) ; it's killing the weeds that's hard. 'Cause you KNOW I'm not going out there during the summer to do it again. No way. No how. If it's not done by the end of April, it's getting done in November. Between the fire ants, stinging insects, and the heat, I'm done from May until November.

My sister just called. My brother's 9-month-old twins have a stomach virus. And his wife is going on a business trip tomorrow. YAY! (Lent is coming soon, and I have to get all this cattiness out of my system fast!) My sister-in-law is moaning about it on facebook, but you know they'll be over it by the time she leaves town. At least they're not eating tuna casserole or anything gross like that. And they're not terribly mobile. Things could be worse.

This week in FlyLady land was Zone 4: the master bedroom and bath. I cleaned under the bed, dusted the suitcases that are kept under there, wrapped them with old ratty sheets that I was going to get rid of, and put them back. I cleared out a few drawers, culled the clothes in the closet -- the usual crap. I kept up with all my daily routines (bathroom counters/toilet, kitchen counters, laundry, clutter piles in the living areas), and even got most of my weekly chores done (dust, vacuum, mop). I didn't get the kids' bathtub cleaned on Thursday because I was having a new crown glued in my mouth. I always underestimate how tired it makes me to get that kind of work done. At least I'm done for a while with the dentist. Y'know, after I get the crown filed down a little on the side where it's still too high. I swear, I would have let her glue a rock into my head by the time she was done. I'm a little more discriminating now. ;)

Anyway, next week is about the same as last week, except FlyLady is on Zone 5 (living room) and Zone 1 (foyer, dining room). I get to get rid of VHS tapes and sort through the bins of homeschool crap that's clogging my work area. I'll probably also sweep the dead spiders out of the foyer. Whee. Oh, and in history, The Boy and I are going to let the Persians try to overrun Greece. Hey, you know it was bound to happen.

I'm starting to feel the need for a road trip. And I don't mean to Lowe's.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I understand that road trip need. Sounds like a productive week, even if it wasn't eventful. Sometimes boring is good. If you find a good weed killer, let me know. I do that in spring, and by midsummer, it's all shot to heck again. Drives me crazy.

Anonymous said...

Dang you are busy busy busy. My house is the same way with food--what 2 people love to eat, the other 2 refuse. I hate cooking. Grrr.
Glad to read of the girl sharing the article (cool!) and some accomplishment on the homeschool and flylady fronts. You should get a crown for that--but not the kind for your teeth.