Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just do it.

Okay, so maybe that last post seemed a little ambitious. Lemme splain.

Most of those things take no more than 30 seconds. Think about it:

Every morning, I get up, clean the cat box, shower, dress and put on shoes, wipe down the bathroom sinks, make the bed, empty the dishwasher, fill the dishwasher, feed everyone breakfast, clean the kitchen again, make the kids' beds (so they don't go back to bed), check the calendar, and start a load of laundry. *sigh* Then I start my work day.


I always clean the cat box, shower and dress. The bathroom sinks take 8 seconds, the bed takes either 30 seconds (straighten the covers) or two minutes (re-make the bed). The kids' beds just take a dash through the room, flinging stuffed animals into a bin and pulling the covers up under the pillow: 30 seconds each. I have to empty the dishwasher anyway, and I was just sick and tired of working around the dirty dishes that couldn't be put in the dishwasher until I emptied the fricking thing. Seriously, the dishwasher only takes three minutes to empty, max. The laundry load takes two minutes to start, because the dirty laundry is chucked into one of three bins when it is taken off: hot water, light colors in cold water, and dark colors in cold water. I just grab the bag and chuck the contents in the washer. Seriously, I can get a TON of work done in a short whirlwind first thing in the morning. It's kind of fun. ;)

Today, I had a whoooooole 15 minutes before I left for dance, so I dumped the silverware drawer, cleaned out the crumbs and grime, and put it all back (minus the eight coffee scoops and six plastic spoons). Man, that had been bugging me FOREVER! It's pretty now.

Truly, it doesn't take much extra time to do it right.

3 comments:

LeAnn Knight said...

Still... it's impressive that you have the discipline to do that every morning. I've tried the FlyLady thing and so far haven't been able to stick with it for very long. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I moved the art supply shelf and cleaned out below/behind it and totally thought of you while I did it.

Sarah said...

I need to do that...