Saturday, February 12, 2011

Is it nap time now? (How about now?)

Okay, I'm back. Apparently, there is no cure for learning to clean the house. Between hurling clutter from the house and teaching school, I've been swamped.

I've gone through everything in the kitchen. I dumped, cleaned, culled, and re-loaded the silverware drawer, utensil drawer, and the junk drawer. I did the same for the spice cabinet, the dishes, mugs, pantry, tupperware cabinet, pot cabinet, and pan cabinet. *whew* Oh, and under the kitchen sink. Apparently, I have TWO leaks under the kitchen sink, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it except put some tupperware under it. Oh! And I cleared the breakfast bar. I feel naked in the kitchen now, without my protective barrier of junk. ;)

I've gone after The Girl's magazine "collection" in the family room, and found THREE partially-empty bags of sunflower seeds for the bird feeder in the process. I've thrown out three bags of old toys and garbage from The Girl's bedroom, and the room looks... well... about the same.

The process continues.

This morning I spent an hour killing the lawn. Yes, for all you people living in the Cold Frozen North, this is lawn maintenance time down here. See, the grass is perennial, but the weeds are annual, and they're sprouting like crazy right now. (The oaks are also blooming, and everyone's allergies are going gonzo!) The front lawn is completely dead on one side, so I'm killing the clumps of weeds so I can re-sod it. I think I'm going to try to do it myself. I wonder how much money I'll save doing it myself. That's important, because rightfully, I should get a cut of that money to spend on myself, right?

Hm. Well, it looks like I've chosen a good time to step up to the plate and try to develop some housekeeping habits. The Husband has been working 60-hour weeks this semester. Developing that first-year class has been proving a pain, despite the fact that he's taught both the second- and third-year version of the same class. He's been muttering something about "teaching fluid dynamics to students who don't know calculus". Or something like that. All I can say is, I get a vacation when he's done! It's not like I'm not working a full day either -- I just happen to be home. And my commute is REALLY short.

Oh well, The Husband is grading papers, The Boy is playing loud, irritating computer games, and The Girl is writing in her latest InStyle magazine. I should get up and clean something while I have the time. Maybe the kitchen floor. Or maybe it's nap time...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

WOW! You've been busy! And I'm sure that even though you don't see a difference, everyone can feel it. You are inspiring me :) Maybe it's time to rent the Rug Doctor after all. Good luck on the lawn front. I've never conquered mine.