Thursday, March 17, 2011

My treatise on housewivery (part 3)

So, a final installment of Housewivery is due, and then I'll let it go.

It seems that once the kids are all in school full time, we housewives may have to find something meaningful to do with our extra time.

One option is to take up a hobby, but I doubt I could scrapbook that much.

Another option is to volunteer, which can be enriching. But frankly, I'm really too selfish to work at something no one else wants to do without being paid. I'd be a stretch.

Another option is to make housework more time-consuming by decorating, gardening, cleaning obsessively, and making brioche from scratch. Again, no one would be impressed besides me.

Many women have home businesses, such as selling crafts on etsy.com or Pampered Chef. Others write books. My brother harbors delusions of doing editing work from home once his kids are all in school.

Fortunately (hah!) for me, I'll be working my tutoring job here at The Verge Academy for the foreseeable future. Hm. Maybe we've cracked the mystery of why so many women are homeschooling... (Danger! Run away!)

I have to say that I enjoy homeschooling, but oh, how I wish my kids could go to public schools. I hate that they're missing marching band and that crazy synergy that smart kids make when they learn. But then what would I do?

So, good luck y'all. You'll need it. We all do.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

LOLOLOLOL our kids in public schools ROFLMAO LOLOL!!!

Anonymous said...

At least by keeping them home you delay any big lifestyle changes for another decade or so:)