Thursday, November 18, 2010

You got a problem with that?

I know you're dying to know. Or not.

Today, I offered The Boy a trip to PetCo in the afternoon -- if he could get some of his work done in the morning by himself, while The Girl and I finished her school work. Bad idea. He spent three hours this morning complaining about all the unnecessarily healthy food in the house. He claimed that I had denied him breakfast. I was causing him to be too healthy. (And apparently, that's not good.) For the record, we consider FrankenBerry to be a condiment, to be sprinkled over Cheerios. I mean, really, would you drink maple syrup for breakfast? (Quiet, you!)

He subjected us to three hours of whining. Then he cried because he had spent his morning whining -- because I hadn't let him eat breakfast -- and he was now very sad that he couldn't take his webkinz dog to PetCo. Just think how disappointed Toby the dog would be! UNFAIR! I was UNFAIR!! And he was going to run away from home. Because he was a loser.

Umm. Yeah.

We got it together in the afternoon (after The Girl and I finished our ballet practice) and we finished his work around 5:00. He agreed to give up some of his much-coveted computer time after dinner to go to PetCo with me. So, after I got back from food co-op pickup, we went out and bought Christmas presents for the cats.

Yeah, so this means one of two things, possibly both. Possibility one: he still has a lot of anxiety, particularly about working on new/hard stuff alone, and currently, his nerve endings are raw and bleeding. Or possibility number two: he's a brat.

I wonder what's for breakfast tomorrow...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Big, healthy dose of reality? I love that you got presents for the cats. Can you tell my husband this is okay? (Then again, I have six of them...)

Anonymous said...

I'm just laughing--in that commiserative way, of course.
And for the first time in my life I went to a Petco--2 days ago. Wow, they are HUGE stores.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, Breakfast... the most important meal of the day, ergo, the most cried about... fussed over meal for the kids. I wish I had some sage advice on the breakfast battles, but I'm nursing wounds from my own battles. And really? Gifts for the cats? I'm concentrating hard on not shaking my head in your general direction.

Mom on the Verge said...

My kid has the suburban curse right now -- he doesn't want anything. That makes him very hard to motivate.

If it takes a ride to PetCo to motivate him to do schoolwork on his own, great. He distrusts The Great Outdoors, so offering a hiking trip would only make him more unhappy.

Yeah, it's SO much fun living with a high-strung child.