Friday, November 12, 2010

I think we just may be okay. (Maybe.)

Okay, I think I need to start writing more "positive" blog entries.

So, here goes...

Umm. Okay, here goes: My boy is getting old enough to be truly, adult-ly funny.

See, I've been getting all misty-eyed over those toddler toys in the Christmas catalogs. You know the type -- creative, educational, guaranteed-to-make-your-child-bright, colorful, fun toys. There is so much to be learned as a three-year-old, and most of it is pretty easy and/or intuitive. Even if you don't show your kid a single phonics flash card, she WILL learn to read. Sooner than you think. Girls are that way. Except my girl, but I digress.

Where are all the children's toys for tweens? The catalogs end at 10 years old. What then? I'm starting to see classes, camps, activities for kids up through 5th grade -- the exact age of my kids.

So, it's comforting to see The Boy develop an adult sense of humor. He makes my mom laugh. It's comforting. He may, in fact, become enough of an adult to be legal guardian for his sister after all. I do not want him to be her physical guardian necessarily, but I want someone to keep the lawyers and social workers honest when I'm gone.

So what do tweens and teenagers do for fun? Learn to be adults. Just like mine.

Maybe he'll be okay after all. Maybe we all will.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Fingers crossed. I went to a mom's group event today. At 10 a.m. My 8-year-old brought his DS and hid under stacks of chairs while the toddlers played. I looked at the toddlers and had flashbacks to diapers. I'm thinking adulthood, assuming they can get there intact, is much nicer.

Mom on the Verge said...

I remember a time when I would have cheerfully changed their diapers until they were 25 if someone else would only feed them... Somehow, diapers held no fear for me. Nursing twins was the real hassle. That, and their dump-and-spread style of play. That was a drag, too. But I LOVED THE FINGER PAINTING!

I guess my hopes and visions for my children as adults are a little more fragile than most.

Anonymous said...

A sense of humor can make the job of motherhood SO MUCH better. Glad it's happening!