Monday, November 15, 2010

Rejoice. Give thanks.

Okay, more positive blog stuff. Um. Still nuthin.

Hm. Today I got up at 7:30, tired from The Boy waking me every fifteen minutes until 11:30, when I told him he could sleep on the couch after all. I got everyone fed and got a shower. School started somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00. The Boy screwed around but finally finished his DVD lesson from Excellence in Writing, then he did a half-assed job on his Life of Fred. I sent him out with The Girl to swing while I packed her lunch. My dad arrived to watch The Boy just as I ran out the door to therapy in The Big City with The Girl -- screaming hysterically.

She had done her writing and some crossword puzzles before she went out to swing. She was wearing decent clothes (for a change) but still wanted to change clothes for the trip. (She always wears the same clothes on Mondays and then has to change into decent clothes for the trip to The Big City.) She sat in her room for ten minutes without getting it done, and I dragged her out, screaming.

About fifteen minutes into the hour-and-ten-minute trip, she calmed down and I reminded her that she had time but she sat on the bed. I think she'll shake it a little faster next time.

Therapy was fun, but the OT let me know that The Girl is supposed to be practicing her sensory integration exercises several times a day. Um. I do it twice a week. Like practicing piano, right? Oy. The therapist has starting brushing/joint compression. She'll do it a few weeks, until Lora gets used to it, and we'll start it for real. Translation? I have to do it four times a day for a while and then we'll taper off. Oy again.

The speech therapist was out with an ill mother-in-law, so we didn't have to do that at least. The Girl hates speech. It's hard work.

"What is this?" A refrigerator.
"What is it used for?" We take food out of it.
"No, what does the refrigerator do? What do we use it for?" We open it?

You can see where this leads us. Correct answer? It keeps food cold. We use it to keep out food cold. Hm. Anyway, we drove home another hour and ten minutes, and relieved my mom who had The Boy by then.

I mounted the barre for The Girl's ballet mirror. I repaired the sprinkler head that The Husband drove over and snapped off last week. (This required a quick hit at Lowe's for a new part.) I helped cook dinner, ate, emptied the dishwasher and re-filled it. I looked up my garage door opener manual on the 'net and then figured out why my remote control wasn't working. I helped The Girl with some crossword puzzles, sent The Boy to get a shower, and wrote a blog post.

Coming up? I have to read The Trojan War to The Boy, bathe The Girl, and get everyone into bed.

Positive post... I survived the day, got some stuff off my to-do list, and I didn't have to go to speech therapy.

Rejoice with me...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you could totally use another kind of therapy. What a day!