Friday, November 19, 2010

Really? Musical chairs?

Y'know what drives me nuts? When my kid does something stupid and the world doesn't allow him to suffer the natural consequences.

Example? The Boy sometimes overreacts to pushing and shoving. He has a highly sensitive fight-or-flight reflex. As a result, he whacked a kid after a scuffle during musical chairs at Kids' Fun Night at the church. Who thought a game involving pushing and clawing was a good idea? The same person who handed out plastic whistles half an hour later. But I digress.

Now, like all boys these days, the other kid had been trained to tattle instead of whacking him back. I know it sounds neanderthal, but I really think The Boy would put it together faster if they'd just let boys be boys.

I dislike bullies as much as anyone, and I don't want to see my kid hurt, but better now than later when everyone's grown. Of course, by then he won't have to play musical chairs, so maybe it'll be okay.



It still bugs me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, I so agree. I took my boy to the girl's school today for their Thanksgiving lunch thingy. Afterward I let the boy loose on the playground, and I was TOTALLY reminded of why he's not still there in the first place. Teachers got involved.

Seriously, one good whack upside the head...

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. No tattling. Settle your own scores.