Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wherein I am the Grinch. Seriously.

So, today I put up the outdoor lights. For Florida, it's a pretty darned tasteful display. We have some icicle lights over the garage door, a 7-foot-tall rope-light palm tree by the front door, and some bush netting over the shrubs. Voila. Merry stinkin' Christmas.

Yeah, my attitude toward Christmas hasn't improved yet. That'd probably require Vallium, a much more quick-acting drug. But at least I think I've figured out one of the things that really honks me off about Christmas. And I've made a new rule:

Persons using any form of the word "magic" with any form of the word "Christ" in the same sentence gets slapped.

Really -- magic and Christ? I think that gets you excommunicated in some parts of the world. Like Italy, maybe. I hope.

"This is the Magic of Christmas!" "Make this Christmas magical!" "Come see the magic at Christmas World!"

There's no way I'm pulling anything magical out of my not-so-magical... ear... this year. Or any other year, for that matter. I'll go through the motions and help The Husband with the Usual Festivities, but my heart's not in it.

"The Grinch hated Christmas, the whole Christmas season..."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'd love to see the palm tree. That sounds so Florida. Kinda like people who put lights on cactus in Arizona.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing my tail off--I thought of you this morning. I had a MAJOR meltdown yesterday--whinefest about all the WORK involved in this dag-blasted holiday. Shop. Wrap. Bake. Mail. Decorate. Ick.
Then we got a tree, decorated it, watched Home Alone and ate popcorn around it.
This morning it fell over.
And I thought about you, the one other person thoroughly disgusted by Christmas right now.