Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homeschool plans (Hide the torches and pitchforks!)

I've been thinking about homeschool again. And planning. 'Cause God knows I love planning!! (Seriously, I do!)

We're about 15 weeks into a school year, and will probably follow The Husband's university schedule. That means another 15 weeks of school starting Monday. The Husband is taking vacation during Summer A (May to mid-June) and working during Summer B (late June to mid-August), so we'll take May off with him. Then we'll work the June, July, and part of August until he goes on vacation again. If that makes sense, it means about 40 weeks of school, which is about right. (15 + 15 + 10 = 40)

Whew! Too much math-iness!

Anyway, I've been waiting for The Boy's "natural curiousity" to set in and for him to demand that I start on the nice meteorology curriculum I bought from Beyond the Page. But I'm still waiting. So we're going all institutional-y and teaching him that what-every-fifth-grader-should-know stuff. I even found the Florida edition!

I've picked out 25 weeks of science from the 5th grade McGraw-Hill science book and have laid out enough Story of The World, Ancient Greek History Pockets, and Ancient Rome History Pockets to make up 25 weeks. (Yes, I'm skipping the food web -- if I have to teach that again, I'll scream!!)

The only thing left to decipher is the whole Excellence in Writing curriculum. We finished the Student Intensive A and I think we have to buy another $240 in "continuation course" now. Not sure. All I know is that I don't have time to be a "good" homeschool mom and make up my own lessons. And The Boy really loved the DVD lessons -- that guy is hilarious!

We'll go on with Life of Fred: Decimals and Percents. We'll probably get more serious about the Michael Clay Thomas stuff again, too. Blah, blah. Makes me bored thinking about it.

Well, not bored exactly, but weary. That early-afternoon slump feeling is building behind my brain, and I'm remembering that I have to brush The Girl five times a day, apparently for the rest of my life. Plus do her OT exercises and ballet practice. I swear, that girl is a full-time job. On the other hand, so is The Boy. *sigh* There is no way in Hell that I can succeed against those odds. Maybe lengthening the school year to 40 weeks will help ease the pressure a little.

Fall: 16 weeks (includes a one-week break)
Christmas: 2 weeks
Spring: 18 weeks (includes a two-week break)
Vacation: 4 weeks (the month of May)
Summer: 10 weeks
Vacation: 2 weeks (August)

Yeah, as long as I hide the torches and pitchforks, we'll be juuuust fine.

Still only 40 weeks of school, but doable. Must go lie down now...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oi vey. What a year. I think I'd go crazy, but hey, if it works, more power to you!

Anonymous said...

I thought of you today while in the throes of a huge struggle with my oldest kid. I am contemplating sending him to boarding school and my list of grievances sounded a lot like yours with your son. Hm.