Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ooh. Time for a "real" field trip!

Brr. Cold here. The solar hot water heater froze up last night. Seriously, we had to disconnect it from the hot water heater in order to bathe this morning. They had melted by 8:00, and nothing looks broken. All's well that ends well. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be in the 40's. Better.

Ooh. Today was our big field trip today. We went to the old Pioneer Village today for a Christmas craft day. I personally love the place. The old buildings, the school, the barns, the animals -- they all transport me back to the 1800's. (Yes, "pioneer" only goes back about 150 years here, at least in terms of Protestant, English-speaking, American people.) I always get a sense of real history under my feet there.

It's a surreal experience to be in a place (or book) and become so engrossed that you suddenly realize that you're still where you started and not somewhere else. I like it. Most people like it. Sadly, places and books that transport a person really scare the piss out of The Boy. He started the trip by getting carsick in the parking lot. Then the complaining started, along with the rude, defiant comments. He initially refused to go in the building with the group. Assuming that he was just being difficult and controlling, and that he'd enjoy it once he got inside, I made him go. When he burst into tears in the classroom, I figured it was time to make a break for it. Seriously, I was pretty sure he'd get over it and have a good time. But no.

Happily, the farm part was outdoors, so The Girl and I went and visited the chickens, sheep, goats, peacocks etc. The dude that was doing the outdoors presentation was really cool. His oldest kid is about 45, so he's about my mom's age. He's been a farmer or rancher most of his life, part of it in Colorado. Cool. We got to hear about all the animals. All the sheep had twins last spring, and one is expecting now. He says she'll lamb on the coldest full moon of the winter. I don't know how they know, but I'm betting he's right. We couldn't get too slobbery because all the water pipes for washing up were frozen. Yayy. The Boy wasn't going anywhere near the animals, but he was content to hang around long enough for The Girl to check them all out.

The day had turned nice by 10:45, so after visiting the vegetable gardens, we all headed home. At least I got to see the farm, The Girl enjoyed the animals, no one threw up in the car. I'm not sure it was really a $15 petting zoo, but I've done worse.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you all survived! I love it when people have knowledge of animals and plants and earth. I get weirdly jealous. My uncle used to know when his cows were going to calve, so I'm sure that rancher knew, too. I want to be that in-tune with things, but I do believe I'd be yanked out of *that* reality pretty fast. Hope it warms up for ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you gave it a go and it sounds like it went pretty well overall. I always love going to places like that.

Melissa said...

Don't you love it when your kids embarrass you in public. I have way too many stories about that! Funny stuff. Glad I stumbled upon your blog!