Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas is indeed coming...

Well, it's about time to update my profile again -- the twins are turning 11 on Friday. I should be panicked over their impending teenage years, but frankly, I'm just too drained over their 'tween years right now to really care. I guess we'll see.

The Girl sprained her ankle on Friday, tromping around the yard in a pre-bicycle-riding happydance. Poor little thing. She still couldn't walk on it by the next morning, so I took her to the pediatric urgent care center. It's not broken, and just as I was hoping that it would slow her down a little for the holidays, it's not. She's up hobbling around, wrecking the place. She discovered the two Christmas presents under the tree that The Boy made me wrap early. Man, was she pissed when I wouldn't let her keep the one she opened. At least it was hers, though. Very thoughtful of her.

We're on Christmas break right now, along with The Husband whose semester ends tomorrow with graduation. This means, of course, it's time for mom to get out and have some fun. My mammogram is Tuesday. I would go get more teeth ground down, but the dentist is on vacation until January 10. I hope the temporary crowns hold out that long. I also have a strange cyst on my wrist that has to go -- it's starting to affect my blogging. Maybe I can slip it in after the other appointment.

So. A week to go before It's All Over. I feel a strange sense of suspension. The gifts are bought, except my mom's. Some are wrapped. I even bought my dad's presents for the kids, and have to wrap them as well. The tree is (finally) up, but I need four C batteries for the God-awful train. I'm making mostly candies this year, but I won't be making them until Thursday. I'm making a vain attempt on a small present for the sisters-in-law, but I'm not sure it'll come together. I usually send the Christmas cards out between Christmas and New Years, with a Christmas photo at the beach. But, aside from cleaning the house, there's nothing urgent going on.

We'll do the usual Christmas crazy dance. Here's how it goes:

Friday morning, we'll pack up The Birthday, put on our swimsuits, and go to the beach. (As usual, it'll be high tide again this year! What are the odds?!) We'll take the usual photos, play in much-too-cold salt water for a while, then go to my mom's. After a quick shower in the back yard (brr!) we'll have hot dogs and birthday cake with birthday presents. Mid-afternoon, we'll head home, change clothes, and go back out for the 5:00 children's chapel service. After chapel, we'll call in our Chinese food order and pick it up on the way home. After eating too much garlic, the kids'll get pajamas on, watch a DVD, and go to bed. Sometime around midnight, The Husband and I will pack it in and go to bed. And that's just the Christmas Eve dance. If you hear a grinding noise around 4:00 pm Friday, it'll be us, shifting gears.

Christmas morning, we just open presents, eat, and lie around. My parents come to hang out and eat quiche, fruit salad, pie, cookies, and candy throughout the morning. My dad comes around 9:00 and leaves as my mom shows up around 11:00. Once everyone leaves, I go back to bed because I feel like vomiting.

This is where I usually put in the "oh well, life is good" line, so give me a minute. We're indoors, well-fed, secure in our income, and happy. Life is truly good. This Christmas, too, will pass.

No comments: