Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The "W" word...

Yes: WORK.

I know, I know, homeschool is not supposed to be called "work" -- it's supposed to be a Journey of Discovery, propelled by my child's own unbridled enthusiasm for Unravelling the Wonders of our World.

Only it's not. I'm starting to question the unschooling precept that we should never force a child to do something they don't ask to do. I'm starting to reconsider even letting him choose whether or not to breathe. 'Cause he'd forget. Or get stubborn and refuse to.

Here's what I'm trying to communicate now:

1. No one gets out of this world without doing his share of the work.

2. You have to work, then play; otherwise, you're going to find that you run out of time. And it really rubs off the glow pretty quickly.

3. You will enjoy your leisure more if you've earned it first.

Hey, maybe my kid will actually grow up with those politically incorrect "work ethic" thingies.

Or not. We'll see. Gotta read that Bill Bennett book again...

2 comments:

S. said...

OMG you used "work" and "ethic" in the same sentence. *runs away in government-managed panic*

Anonymous said...

My oldest is JUST starting to get this figured out! It's wonderful!