Monday, September 6, 2010

Oh bored, oh bored...

Oh. My God. I'm so bored that I can barely stand myself. I know, I know, "bored" means you lack initiative, creativity, and brains enough to entertain yourself. Sorry, but I'm just bored. I have no friends to visit. I've already spent enough time with my parents this weekend.

We took the day off because The Husband has the day off from teaching and because the new show on PBS, "The Cat in the Hat Knows a lot About That" is on seven times today. Lora has been looking forward to it, so I thought I'd humor her. Naturally, The Husband is at work now, and the seven episodes turned out to be the same two episodes over and over. And the new show isn't particularly clever. Martin Short was cast as The Cat, so he sounds like a wedding planner. Not good.

So, here I am. I've already checked my email, called my sister, contemplated the mess that is my house, and concluded that it's the phase of the moon or something.

See, I have about four or five really suck-ola jobs to do around the house, and either a) I'll feel better after I finish them or b) it'll make me even crankier to work on them. Since the horrible mold decontamination incident, we have a few of those "just moved in" piles of junk around the house. I also haven't sand-blasted the bathrooms in a while, but hey, they'll look the same in two days, so why bother?

Oy. I already assembled the vanity for the new bathroom, but it was missing some pieces, so the remodel is on hold until I get more parts. Maybe I could hang the big-ass timeline that I've been trying to start for a few weeks. Yeah, that's it. And figure out what's for dinner. The kids will eat (yawn) cheeseburgers again, but I have some black beans cooked. (yawn) I have a jar of ancho chilies and adobo sauce, so that would make a good chili, but I'm just not motivated.

I think I'll hang the craft paper for the timeline and scan a few pictures for stickers. We're going to use 2" x 4" shipping labels for the timeline with a picture on the left and words on the right. That way, it'll look WAY COOL. If it works, I'll post pictures. The only real problem I have now is wall space.

Let's say I have 15 feet of wall space for CE (Common Era, the time formerly known as Anno Domini, AD). 15*12/2000 gives me about a tenth of an inch for one year. That translates into an inch for every 10 years. Working backwards, that gives us 201 decades * 1 inch / 12 = 16.75 feet for the Common Era. Okay, I'll need about twice that for BCE (Before Common Era), or about 30 feet. Yeah. I have 45 feet of wall space somewhere here... Lemme go measure the family room walls.

I think I can put most of BCE on the east wall, Our Lord's birth in the corner crack, and put CE on the south wall. On the newly-painted walls. But only on a smaller scale.

Maybe a nap would help...

Okay, post-nap idea: The wall in the front hallway is 10' long. If I allow four feet for the CE dates and six feet for BCE, I can make each century about 2.5" long. I think that'll work. Working backwards, I can have just over four feet of CE and about 2,800 years of BCE. I like it... Where's the laser level?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh did we have the BORED virus around our house, too, yesterday. Everyone wandered around here feeling ornery and dissatisfied.