Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First week of school -- The Boy edition...

Let's see if I can do a first-week-of-homeschool post without dropping anyone into a coma.

We started off slowly on Monday, since we had to drive all the way to The Big City for speech and OT. We've just been picking up a few subjects a day, trying them out to see when they start making the kids cry, trying to see if the kids can work together on the same subject without making me cry. ;)

I have so much stuff for The Boy to work on that I'm not sure how to fit it all in! I just counted -- he has TEN subjects! And we've only managed to start the first six.

Building Thinking Skills 2 (critical thinking)
Writing with Ease 2 (listening)
Caesar's Engligh 1 (vocabulary)
Grammar Town (grammar)
The Trojan War from Memoria Press (literature)
Life of Fred: Fractions (math)
Music of the Hemispheres (poetry)
Excellence in Writing (writing)
Story of the World 1 (ancient history)
It's so Amazing (science: human reproduction)

It's not like I want to work him to death -- far from it. I just have a lot of different stuff for him. I'm thinking we'll have to either alternate some of these or put some off until later in the year.

So far, his absolute favorite has been The Trojan War. Strange chld... He also likes Caesar's English and has already drawn Jim Davis's dog under the word "odious". Odie -- get it?!

Our week is full, too. We drive to The Big City for half of Monday. We have dance (Brain Gym and ballet) on Tuesday afternoon. I should have playgroup on Wednesday, but I just can't work up any excitement for it. We're signed up for a science class at the local museum on Thursday afternoon. Friday is lunch with Grandmother. Most of this doesn't take too much time except Monday, but we'll work around it all.

If I could only figure out how to teach 10 subjects in four hours or less per day. ;)

1 comment:

S. said...

Right now I'm feeling glad that I just have one child to teach! Very fun about the 'Odie'ous. My son ADORES Garfield and all subjects related and probably would have drawn the same. If he drew. Deep breath, take it easy, and have fun!