Wednesday, December 26, 2012

This year, next year...

Well, it all went pretty well. Monday was nuts, of course -- up by 9:00, kids up by 10:00, out the door by 10:30, at Grandmother's by 11:00. Birthday lunch, cake, singing, presents. Out the door again by 1:00. Naps all around. Back into clothes by 4:30, church at 5:00, Chinese food, showers. Max and Ruby Christmas DVD at 9:00, cursing at 10:30 when there are still six episodes remaining. Kids to bed at 11:30, wrapping, labelling, arranging, bed at 1:00.

Up again at 9:00 for presents and grandfather. Swap out the grandparents at 11:00. Grandmother leaves at 1:00. Collapse. Swear. Feel queasy.

This is our typical holiday.

The Girl is totally uninterested in Christmas presents. For her birthday (Monday), she got a pop-up Alice in Wonderland, a Martha Speaks book and doll, and a pink fleece neck pillow. She loved them. She carried the Alice in Wonderland book to church on Christmas Eve. Christmas was of no interest to her, unless it was something she's usually not allowed, like hand sanitizer or scented markers.

I think The Boy has finally conceded that Santa is his parents, and as such, is not magic. The Husband wrote 'From "Santa"' on his presents, and after an initial squalk, The Boy was cool with it. He later said he's like to be able to thank Santa for his computer. I told him he could probably find a way to do that and winked, and he said thanks and hugged me. Then he went to thank the other half of "Santa". Nice. :)

So, the real question is, "What will I do next year to avoid being unhappy next year?" Because I really am unhappy at Christmas. A lot. I hate cooking. I hate decorating. I hate wrapping. I love old old music. I love velvet dresses. I love white lights and candles. I love Loreena McKennett.


Tragically, my kids idea of a great Christmas and my idea of a great Christmas are mutually exclusive. The Girl actually screams when I sing, screeches when we light Advent candles, fusses when I put on music. The Boy loves flashing colored lights, SpongeBob Christmas, piles of presents and all the crappy decorations they've ever made since preschool.




 

See the problem? So, I'm not sure what to do differently next year without totally ruining everyone else's Christmas. But I'm pretty sure it starts with ear buds and my own tree. And an escape hatch somewhere behind the stove.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm pretty sure next year my Christmas is going to happen. I'm going to tell everyone I'll host... but NOT on Christmas Day. So they can all come over when I'm good and ready and I don't have to go anywhere on the holiday itself. Also, I'm not buying gifts for anyone over the age of 11 or under the age of 54. That will make my holiday much, much brighter. Glad you got through this one with minimal damage!