Thursday, September 29, 2011

Remind me again...

They're supposed to be sleeping through the night by 11 years old, right? And most of that sleep is supposed to be taking place between 10pm and 7am?

'Cause, see, if they don't sleep, they get bored. And when they're bored, who do they come visit? ME!

I swear on the living God, my son woke me at 11:30 last night to show me that if he puts a pillow under his pajama shirt, he looks pregnant. I'd like to say that I didn't swear at him, but I'd be lying. Really, I didn't swear much -- until 12:30 when he woke me again to ask for a band-aid for his toe. Apparently, he felt this fulfilled the "only if you're bleeding" clause in the "Goddammit, don't wake me until morning unless you're bleeding or throwing up!"

What does a woman have to do to get a full night's sleep?! (Seriously, what does a woman have to do to get a full night's sleep? Please help.)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah, I dunno. M1 woke up at 2 a.m. I'd almost rather that he DID wake me up because if he doesn't, he's into mischief... which generally means eating food that I've bought for subsequent meals and destroying various parts of the house. Damned either way, aren't we??

Amy said...

Scenes from my life! I got the midnight visit last night from my 9 yo dd to let me know she had dropped silly putty on her carpet. :/ I wanted to ask why she was playing with silly putty in the middle of the night but I didn't want the 20 min. conversation that would follow. I get visits for hangnails, and because "my foot was hurting but it stopped". Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Maybe lace their dinner with Benedryl?
Sleep deprivation is CRUEL. Heck, it's a form of torture! Why don't your kids appreciate that???

LeAnn Knight said...

So, the boy has gone off to college and now it's the hubby that wakes me up in the middle of the night. He still hasn't learned how to use his "inside voice" when he's talking to the dog.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am cracking up at this post. I too have an ADHD boy (age 10) who seems to not need sleep...at all. He calls me and/or gets up between two and five times a night and then is up again at 5:30 for the day. Once I woke up to go to the bathroom at like 3am and he was up reading. He may do this every night and I just don't know it, who knows? But I am with you--sleep trumps pretty much everything else.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this post had me cracking up. I have a 10 year old ADHD boy who seems to be philosophically opposed to sleep. He gets up and/or calls me two to five times per night. Once I got up at 3am to go to the bathroom and he was up reading. He may do that every night and I just don't notice, who knows...I am totally with you though--sleep trumps pretty much everything else.