Monday, September 5, 2011

A little school and a spectacularly bad idea.

Geez, everyone else's blog is so damned erudite that I'm almost reluctant to write. That, and I'm lazy.

Anyway, we're making progress in getting school started. The Boy is getting up at 8:00 to watch the Pink Panther Show, so it hasn't been such a trauma to get him awake and moving. The Girl is getting used to working in the afternoon. Life goes on.

My dad had a particularly spectacularly bad idea last week. The other half of my brother's three-story duplex Up North is for sale, and my dad was going to buy it and move up to "help with the grandkids". Yeah. How bad an idea is this? Let me count the ways. One, he's arthritic and can't walk the distance from the street to the front door or the back door, and it's up a flight of stairs to either porch. Two, he's 77 years old and can't dig out his own car when it snows. Three, he's not agile enough to wrangle toddlers. Four, there aren't any bedrooms on the first floor, so he'd have to build one. Five, the last time he fell on ice, he broke both arms. Six, my sister-in-law hates him. Seven, my brother's half of the duplex is falling down, and my dad's half would eventually fall into it. (Can you say "removal of load bearing walls"?) Eight, my father can't keep a two bedroom apartment clean, so a three-story duplex is a bad idea. Nine, my brother (the househusband) can't even keep the first floor of his half clean, so he'll be of no help. Ten, it's an old house, so my dad would have to be making constant repairs, which he can't do. Eleven, my brother hasn't made any of the necessary maintenance and repairs to his half, so he'd be of no help. There are more reasons, but it's getting tedious listing them. What a train wreck. Fortunately, he came to his senses within a few days. I'm almost sorry he changed his mind. I think it would have been quite entertaining. From 800 miles away.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow. Glad he had a reality check before writing a real one. Because I'm sure you would have had to be Superwoman and come to the rescue!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your SIL avoided a MAJOR headache!