Monday, August 22, 2011

My school.. In the middle of my house...

Well, every time I get online to say I don't have anything to say, I find something, so here goes.

School has half-started here at my house, meaning that The Girl has started. I've enforced a bath and bed time schedule for the school year, mostly for me. (The Boy has about as much self-control as I do when it comes to going to bed early. And it always feels early for us.)

I've put together a daily schedule for who's studying what when. I know this is anathema to unschoolers, but if I don't put it down in ink, science and history don't get done. And who wants kids in the house who wonder if the sun will ever become a shooting star. (It IS a star, after all, right?) So, The Girl starts at 8:30, and The Boy starts at 10:30. Some of the time overlaps, but not much. I just feel like since we're in middle school, we should kick it up a notch.

Even in classical education, the first three years is all memorization, but after that, the kids are supposed to start using what they've memorized -- applying it. I think that The Boy should be able to apply what he's learned so far to what he's seeing this year. And he should be able to take ownership of at least some of his work. (I say this every year, so don't get all excited or nuthin.)

Oh, and most importantly, we've named our middle school: Knowledge Middle School. (We finished Learning Elementary School in the spring.) We have a logo and will have t-shirts by the weekend.


Cool, eh?


















3 comments:

Sarah said...

If you have a name and a logo, you're one up on me. Enjoy your schedule... I hope it lasts!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your brand!

Sarah said...

Hope you guys are going to be safe from Irene!