Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ouch! I think I sprained my dignity!!

Okay, let's think logically about this. Unpredictable situation. Semi-darkness. Unfamiliar surroundings. Taking candy from strangers. Breaking the usual daily routine. Dressing up as Evil. Oh, and did I mention elevated blood sugar and the autistic spectrum? Oooh. There never was a witch's brew this toxic, my pretty...

At the university where my husband teaches, the faculty/staff collect candy in the weeks leading up to Halloween, and some of the students hand it out from their dorm rooms on the 31st. Since we live in Satan's foyer, this particular dormitory's doors all open to the outdoors like a Motel 8, so it's a nice, controlled, well-lit event, and heck, we brought in a couple of those bags ourselves a week ago, so why not?

Ready for it? Here it is. A nice young man opens the door and my daughter clutches hear ears, cringes, and shouts, "Willa's Wildlife is not on! A, B, C, D, E, F, G!" The nice co-ed looks startled, takes a quick glance around, and gives her candy while I try unsuccessfully to shush her. "C'mon honey. Sh-sh-shush. What do we say?" She shouts, "You're welcome!" Oy.

Thank the Creator that they'll be too old next year. I'm not sure my dignity can stand one more year of this...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

HAHAHA!! I'm just glad my son didn't shriek so loudly it woke the dead this year. Last year he did that while running away from an animatronic tombstone. Oi vey. You're not alone. On the bipolar forum I'm on, many of the kids flat refuse to leave the house on Halloween. It's over for another year, though! Yay for that!