Saturday, October 9, 2010

the plague, premeditated murder, and toasted marshmallows

Has it been that long? Sorry y'all. I've been sick. It was like the flu of 1918 -- it killed all the middle-aged people but spared the old folk and small children. Anyway, the pestilence let up long enough for us to go on vacation to my sister's in the mountains. The Husband is in the middle of a semester and couldn't go with us, so my father asked to go along.

I learned a few things on the eight-hour drive up here.

1. I learned where I got my (bad) sense of direction. My father.

2. I also learned that if you hit a traffic jam, press the "detour" button on the GPS, miss a turn, press the "detour" button again, miss a turn, and press the "detour" button again, the damned GPS sends you in a circle, back to the rear of the traffic jam again.

3. I learned not to let The Old Man drive. That's right. I can now see why my mother divorced The Old Man when I was eight years old. I may have no sense of direction, but at least I have the humility to admit it and follow directions given to me VERY carefully.

I called my mother from the last rest stop, and she told me that I could kill him if he wrecked my car but that I really should use something close at hand so that it would appear less premeditated. Good advice there.

Anyway, we're here, and (almost) all has been forgiven. The leaves are just starting to turn, and the apples are all ripe. They had all of our favorites that we can't get Down South. My poor Husband grew up in Canadian apple country, so he gets a little misty eyed this time of year. I have a huge bag of Braeburns to take home. I see a lot of apple crisp in my future.
The kids have been very good, all things considered. Neither of them threw up in the car on the way up. Neither of then threw up in the car on the way through the mountains to the apple orchard. The Girl drew on the bedroom walls. The Boy has had his rude moments. But overall, I think they're doing okay. The Old Man is pretty easily pleased as long as we keep bringing him baked goods and warm coffee. The beagle has taken to sharing the recliner with my dad. We have pictures.
We're going to roast marshmallows as soon as it gets dark, so I'd better go clean up whatever the kids have gotten into. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

S. said...

Good luck indeed... It's always a good day when nobody throws up in the car. I don't travel with my dad, either. He has a decent sense of direction but doesn't believe in rest stops. Ever. "Just whiz out the window as we go!" (OK, so not quite that bad, but it's close!)

Anonymous said...

Braeburns are our absolute favorite apple. Heaven. Even worth getting a little lost en route.