Saturday, February 13, 2010

Childhood Obesity?

Just hanging out, sitting on my butt, listening to Michelle Obama and Tiki Barber discuss childhood obesity. Sitting. On my butt.

Still, scary stuff. These kids with diabetes at 5 years old will need kidney transplants at 30 years old. Talk about an expensive disease. Still my kid is on the edge of overweight. Why? Beats me.

He eats cereal for breakfast (half cheerios, half sugar cereal). He grazes in the morning during school (yogurt, cheese stick, corn chips, Cocoa Puffs). He has a sandwich, chips, and fruit for lunch. He grazes a little more in the afternoon, and then has a reasonable dinner (meat, starch, veggies). He's given up ice cream after every dinner as being babyish.

Exercise? About a half hour a day outdoors, trying to avoid doing school.

He keeps asking me, "Why do I have to eat healthy foods? If I'm too healthy, I'll be bouncing around!" Umm. No.

So, what to do? He only has playgroup for running around on Wednesday. He doesn't have buddies to go biking with, and I hate to take him on the adult trudge around the block. So what's left? Anyone?

No comments: