Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Boy Code of Conduct.

So The Boy was playing tag with the others after piano class this morning. (Don't we sound cultured!) Other Boy was accusing The Boy of faking a stomach ache and was taunting him by clucking. Both boys, of course, were complaining to me. I told Other Boy that it wasn't nice to call names, and he claimed that clucking wasn't the same as calling someone a chicken. I asked him what it meant then, and he insisted that it wasn't name calling. Before a fight broke out, I called The Boy over and told him that if Other Boy wanted to act like a poop-head, he could, but that he (The Boy) didn't have to play with him. Two minutes later, Other Boy follows me to the car, complaining that The Boy said that I had called him a bad name. Blah, blah, blah.

On the way home, The Boy tried to explain the subtle playground nuances of name calling, noise making, and when it's okay. I sighed and said, "I'll never understand boys." He looked up and said reassuringly, "You'll learn someday."

I doubt it. I think it's beyond my mortal powers.

No comments: