Tuesday, August 26, 2008

OMG! Clean up -- company's here!!

WOW! I feel famous now -- at least by my humble standards... Thanks Suburban Correspondent!

Well, school's been in for a week and a half. More correctly, the public schools were in on Monday of last week and then off for the four days of Tropical Storm Fay. I figured the school busses would make it from the bedroom to the dining room, and it'd be okay to have class. ;)

The kids' vapor-lock of the brain has let up a little. The Boy connected length/width/height with 1D, 2D, and 3D! He volunteered that the crack in the table is 1D (length), the table top is 2D (area), and the table itself is 3D (volume). He's fascinated that the cat can't see in 2D, only 3D. Woo-hoo-hoo!!!

We finished our timelines back past the Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians. I asked The Boy what happened to the left of the Egyptians, y'know, pre-history. His eyes lit up and he asked, "Like, 'prehistoric'"? Bing!!

You might wonder where The Girl fits in with all this. I work with her on a scaled-back version of what The Boy is doing. We measured length in "inchworms" and area in "square inchworms". She counted square centimeters, and measured centimeters of circumference. I'm not even trying volume with this one. We both feel smart, and I'm going with it. ;)

The Girl and I are still chipping away at timelines, and we've been reading about prehistory (GREAT BOOK: Stone Age Boy) and we'll connect it up with the far left of a timeline eventually. I'll probably have to block in all the VeggieTales stories before I'm finished. ;)

The Boy is past his review of addition, and The Girl is still working on adding her 3's. Slowly but surely, we WILL work through the Addition the Fun Way stories. Right now, we're on 3+8: The 3-bee fixes the 8-gate and gets an 11-popsicle as a reward.

I'm still trying to get organized. In a former life (three weeks ago!) I was a database analyst -- my job was to organize other people's data, give them a way to get their data into the database, and then give them reports to get the data back out. I have seven binders, and I'm still trying to find a way to keep the paper, HUGE PILES OF IT, in order. Is there no end to the paper...

Well, having finished up the coverage of the Democratic Convention, it's now time for me to go to bed before I start behaving like, well, y'know... ;) BTW, I saw a picture on The News Hour of four pants suits hung up on the stage of the convention -- Hillary's staff was color-testing her wardrobe against the set!! Of the four colors (light blue, royal blue, red and orange), I chose the same one she did!! Wa-hoo!

No comments: