Sunday, December 11, 2011

Quick question (And a not-so-quick one, too)

Is it really an apology when they wake you from a nap to tell you?


And what can I do with a child who has no sense of shame? Guilt, he has, but shame? Not so much.

Now, I'm not talking about long-term debilitating shame. I'm talking about ordinary social shame -- the kind that keeps you from acting like an ass in public. Seriously. Stomping around and whining about being bored while waiting for church. Flopping around and groaning with exhaustion while sprawled lengthwise in the church pew. Generally acting like an ass. "Look, there are 85-year-olds and toddlers here who sit upright for the entire service. I really expect you to do a little better than this."

Have you no shame? Apparently not. I keep waiting for the epiphany, but it never comes. I can't decide if he's an ass or if he is autistic. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL the next time I tell my son, "STOP ACTING LIKE A GIANT TURD!" will not be the first. Or, sadly, the last. As for that apology... I dunno. I'm more of a Missourian. Show me. Prove it.