Sunday, December 18, 2011

Of all the Charlie Browns in the world...

So, we're well on out way toward that Most Wonderful Time Of the Year. Oh yay... And as usual, it feels like we've bought twice as many presents for the kids as they can possibly ever use. And as usual, half of those are birthday presents -- because life is just unfair for Christmas babies.

Oddly enough, this Holiday Season we've spent a boatload of cash on adult, household things. Over Thanksgiving, we put down cash for a freezer and a laptop. Then came the 32" TV for the man cave for The Husband's 50th birthday. Now, we're getting a lawn mower so we can fire the lawn service. And not just any lawn mower either. We're getting a cordless, lithium-ion battery operated mower. You have to understand that we haven't spent even close to retail on any of them, but they all averaged about $350 each. Plus the TV Armor, which wasn't on sale. Anyway, I'm feeling tapped-out. And a little stressed.

Naturally, my laptop has crapped out, so in addition to my annual physical at the GP, my annual OB/GYN appointment, my mammogram, and the 75K mile checkup on the car before the new semester starts, I now have to get the computer's graphic card replaced. My dermatologist appointment isn't until mid-January.

The Husband is finished with his semester and graduation, and the kids are officially finished for two weeks. He's already making it clear that, well, I'm not doing a very good job at gaining their cooperation. Yeah. But we're too old for arts-n-crafts history and baking-soda-and-vinegar science. We can't make cookies as math. And, yes, occasionally, they have to do something they don't particularly like. They may have to read a few pages and answer questions, infer, and draw conclusions. They may have to learn why and when the Puritans moved to the New World. (It was for religious freedom in 1630, but it only took six years for them to banish their first dissenter.) And they may have to understand why we don't really want to go back to our early American religious roots. (Sure, they were in favor of religious freedom, but only for their religion.)

Anyway, we're a week and counting to That Magical Time. The tree is up, the decorations are up outside, some of the useless tchotkes are strewn around, the gingerbread house is made but not decorated. The Boy has been fairly useful. He helped make the Advent chain, supervised the making of the gingerbread house, etc. He's actually more helpful in seeing that things get done than he is at helping do them. I'm not saying he's actually a butt head, but he has a managerial bent. ;)

Next week, I have to catch up on the housework, figure out if the presents are "even" and who I've forgotten. I have The Girl's usual activities, with maybe a token of affection for the teachers. I just pulled the trigger on my Amazon shopping cart, and all that stuff should get here Wednesday. I have to produce presents for my dad to give the kids. I have some of my cooking done and in the new freezer, but I have more to do. I usually make the candy on the 23rd. The 24th is pretty much shot, between the birthday party (around noon), chapel (at 5pm), and Chinese food (around 7pm). Then I have to put a cheese strata and overnight cinnamon buns in the fridge. (I think I can do some of that in the morning.) Then The Husband and I have to anaesthetise the kids, put out the loot, and go to bed.

Why do I hate the Christmas season so much? Maybe Lucy is right. Of all the Charlie Browns, I'm the Charlie Browniest. Maybe I need involvement. Or a real live Christmas tree. Maybe my shoes are too tight. But I suspect that my heart is two sizes too small. What do you think?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I suspect there's just too damn much expected of us during this blessed season. Next year, I think all moms should take a vow of solidarity and refuse to do anything vaguely Christmas-y. Except for making a mass exodus to Cozumel. Red and green slushy mixed drinks count, right?

Anonymous said...

No, I think it's because it's too much work and not enough FUN for you. I've had the same problem, so I feel qualified to prescribe some ME TIME for YOU.
I just did the count because tonight's our only shopping trip and things HAVE TO BE sort of even.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the stress of homeschooling, Christmas AND Christmas birthdays. Peace, sister.