Thursday, November 24, 2011

Peel, chop, repeat...

We had dinner at my mother's today. She made the turkey, stuffing, gravy, green beans, corn, cranberry jelly (with the can marks!) and rolls. I was supposed to bring pumpkin pie, apple crisp, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, and rutabagas.



Naturally, I got up late and got all my food cooked in 45 minutes.

I set the oven for 425 degrees, scrubbed some potatoes, nuked them for five minutes, then threw them in the hot oven. I scrubbed the rest of the potatoes, peeled them. chopped them, and put them on to boil. I peeled the rutabaga, chopped it, and put it on to boil. I peeled the apples, whacked them with the apple chopper, mixed them with a little sugar, a handful of cranberries and a little lemon juice, and threw them in a casserole. I mixed up the oatmeal crisp stuff in the same bowl and threw it on top of the apples. (We always cook the apple crisp after the turkey comes out of the oven, hence the lemon.)

By then, the potatoes were soft, so I drained them, added butter, milk and salt/pepper, mashed them in the pot, and dumped them in a casserole with butter on top. By then, the rutabagas were soft, so I drained them, added butter and salt/pepper, mashed them, and dumped them in a casserole with butter on top. By then, the baked potatoes were done, so I was done. The other half of Team Verge (The Husband!) packed it all up as I finished it, and we were outta here! *whew* Oh, and we remembered to take the pie I made yesterday! Score!!

What I want to know is, how did my mom stick me with all the peeling and chopping jobs? ;)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, that's impressive!! All I did was make two pies. I'm curious, though, how on earth did rutabaga make it on the menu and what do those taste like? I've never had one.