Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Adding insolence to injury

So, it's not broken anyway. My parents swooped in like vultures this morning and carried me off to have my ankle x-rayed. "You can't mess around with stuff like this!" they tell me.

Anyway, the ankle is fine, but I pulled the tendons on the top of my foot. Or something like that. I'm in an ankle brace and a "shoe". They were going to put me in a "boot", but decided not to when they found out that I have crazy children and I need to drive.

This whole injury thing is disturbing to me. I find now that I do not have that The Force and cannot move things with my mind. I can only sit and think, "Gee, the bed needs to be made, the sink is full of dishes, I have to get dinner in the oven, and the kids don't do anything I ask unless I stand up first." Seriously, that last one is true. Unless I stand up, they figure I won't enforce any request. It's a "You and what army?" sort of moment.

I have also come to realize that I do not simply walk -- I stride the earth. Me and my running shoes and my 34-inch inseam. It's almost biblical sometimes. "In fury, you stride the earth; in anger you tread the nations." When I stand up to work or fight, people take notice. At 5'11", at least my short people take notice.

I've cancelled dance and my trip tomorrow to The Big City. I'm home with team insolence. Yayyyy...

3 comments:

LeAnn Knight said...

The standing up thing works with pets, too. I yell at my cats to get off the table, stop clawing the furniture, or quit whatever evil activity they are up to... and they ignore me, but as soon a I get up out of my comfy chair, they scatter.
I hope your foot feels better real soon.

Sarah said...

Oooo cooped up with 'em. I think some hard manual labor is going to be in order, though that might involve standing in the "shoe of shame" a few times. Glad you didn't get the boot, though!

Anonymous said...

Aw man. I'm sorry.