Friday, July 15, 2011

Window screens and growing up -- a Friday mix

I just had a radical thought. Those screens on the windows are really obstructing my view of the hummingbirds? Why don't I take those down? Seriously, no one in her right mind is going to be opening those windows for at least four months -- live it up! Talk about this being our stuck-inside-with-crazy-kids season, eh? Instead of going skiing/sledding, we just go to the pool/beach instead. Otherwise, it's the same. That grocery store parking lot? BRUTAL. See?

In other news, The Boy is progressing nicely into tween-hood. He walked past me last week and asked, "What the heck is that in your hair?" "It's a plastic butterfly hair tie I found. I thought it was cute." "Please don't wear that -- it looks dumb." Yayy!!

See, raising kids on the autism spectrum really backward. Our kids learn to lie? Yayy! Our kids tell us we look dorky? Yayy! They want to do everything for themselves? Yayy! They get greedy and want to do all the chores? Yayy!

Lying is a very complex social skill. Self awareness is a hard concept to develop. Self-reliance is a sign of maturity. Financial planning, ditto.

So, when you start to complain about your kid being snarky, remember -- it's a part of growing up. And that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Gah. I didn't need to hear that. M1's attitude every evening this week has been unbearable. The word 'disrespect' has taken on new meaning. I suppose I should celebrate. I think I'll just celebrate with you, though... YAY BOY!!! :)