Thursday, July 7, 2011

The (temporary) end of the world as we know it...

What to do?! It's raining in Florida! And we're not talking about the "if it's 2:00, it must be thunderstorming" kind of rain -- it has been raining for hours with no end in sight!

The kids have resorted to a dump-and-spread sort of activity that involves singing "Get Along Cow" and accidentally dumping half of a bookcase. Maybe you had to be there to understand. Heck, I was there, and I don't understand. But my 11-year-old daughter is now reading a big ass book entitled "Biblical Literacy". (Somehow that one didn't get exactly dog-eared from repeated readings.) They're now carrying the books through the house, and I'm not stopping them. Why?

One reason. I've lost the will to live. Remember the phrase, "A day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine?" (Okay, if you're under 35, just nod and smile.) See, in Florida, a day without sunshine is a Big Deal! We lose the will to live without at least 8 hours of sunshine a day. Sure, we curse it all summer, but it's still there, giving us a will to live.

Now the kids are searching the house for The Boy's DS. It's small, dark, and glossy. Yeah, they'll find it. Reeeeeeal soon. I've suggested cleaning his room first, but he just looked at me like I was nuts.

What I want to do is make a roadtrip to Lowe's. The Girl "needs" a ballet barre, and I've figured out how to make one with saw horse brackets, two 2x4's and some PVC. I'll post pictures if I can get it to work.

But alas, it rains still. Can't breathe. Reaching for the light... Rose... Bud...

3 comments:

LeAnn Knight said...

Wish you could send the rain our way. It's been dry here for months and my skin needs the moisture!

Sarah said...

LOL! I'd give anything for hours and hours of rain like that. We haven't seen it in far too long. I guess that's what makes a drought a drought, but still. *jealous*

Anonymous said...

You sound like a woman in desperate need of a break! Actually, you sound like me in February when the world is still froze over.