Friday, July 16, 2010

Tiring out the kids and "The Orange Tornado"

Well, the attempt to keep the kids out of the house is going well. (Keeping them out is a bit more of a challenge. Ba- dum-dump!) This morning, I took them to the pool until it rained, brought them home, fed them lunch, and then took them on errands: post office, Lowes, Target, Walgreens. Tired now.

My sister's husband is visiting my mom's house near the beach while my mom's away. Why I didn't think of that is beyond me, except that it's only 10 miles away from us.

BIL is somewhat of a workaholic, but with a handyman twist. He's unreasonably handy. A few years ago, his man noticed that his washer was draining too slowly, so he measured the pipes in the basement, went out and bought some PVC, and replaced it. Me? As soon as I cut those wastewater pipes, all the raw sewage from the entire neighborhood would have poured into my basement like the oil spill in the Gulf. Him, not so much. He replaced all the clogged pipes, and it all worked perfectly. I swear, he lives at Home Depot -- hence the Orange Tornado. Me, I prefer Lowe's, but that's a different story.

Anyway, he's been at my mom's, pruning trees, finding termites living in her roof, and generally getting more bored by the second. I'm trying to think of ways to get him up here, working on my roof, but it's really too hot to put the full court press on him. How do I convince him that I have full confidence in his ability to knock out a cinderblock and vent my garage, install two roof exhaust fans, replace my bathroom vanity, and then retile my kitchen? Ya think chocolate cake would do it?

2 comments:

S. said...

I have a recipe for a chocolate cake that also involves Heath bar and coffee if you want it. I use it to bribe my husband on a regular basis. It's labor-intensive but if it gets him up in your roof in the middle of July, it could be worth it!

Mom on the Verge said...

I was thinking lemon meringue pie. I have a lot of trouble with muffins and cakes, but PIE... I can do pie!