Monday, May 25, 2009

Love, don't wear bananas on your head.

I always come up with such great blog topics while I'm in the shower or during school, but I always forget them when I finally get to the computer. So I'm just going to blog anyway. How's that sound?

The above quote was yet another in a long list of strange things I've said in the last week. For some reason The Girl was wearing the banana bunch that I had just brought back from the store, and without hesitating or getting overly excited, I simply said (in my best kindly mom voice), "Love, don't wear bananas on your head. Put them down." Welcome to my world.

We have two weeks to go until the Official End of School. At our house, anyway. I'm running out of work, and the public schools get out soon anyway, so what the heck. The Boy will run out of A Beka math pages this week. They both ran out of spelling lists last week. We're finishing up the Babylonians this week, and doing Crete next week. (Long story -- remind me to tell you tomorrow.) I'm making up grammar review sheets for The Boy.

This morning, The Boy started on his Calvert entrance exam. I started him on reading comprehension this morning, and I was shocked -- SHOCKED I tell you -- at how far he got! Considering we have done almost no formal reading comprehension this year, I'm impressed. ;)

We're reviewing punctuation, capitalization, possessives, contractions, and parts of speech tomorrow. Wednesday, he'll take the grammar part of the exam. Friday, after we finish our section on fractions, he'll take the mathematics portion. I'm putting off the composition until next week. Yaag! He's so pitiful with writing. He just can't organize it all and then write it. From his self-centric place in his mind, he can't imagine that we don't already know what's in his head, so it's hard for him to write about it. Or he has trouble organizing his thoughts. Or something.

He just asked to read with me now, but I've told him he has to finish his math first. Sneaky me!

Lora passed (or is it failed?) the Verticity entrance exam for a language-based learning disability. Now they want $55 before they'll even fork over their entrance exam. Yeah, yeah, I'll get to it NEXT WEEK.

Then, I get to put together my homeschool portfolio and have it reviewed. "Did they make any progress this year?" "YES." "Oh, good. Carry on." I'm not too stressed about it, but I have to do it anyway.

Remind me to tell you about my new organizational system for the fall. It's cool...

No comments: