Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's stress-over-the-curriculum time...

I'm considering using the Calvert Homeschool program.It's a complete soup-to-nuts program for about $780, which would come from The Indulgent Grandmother. Tell me why this isn't a good idea. I'm sure there's a good reason, right? http://www.calvertschool.org/accredited-homeschool-curriculum/

In one way, it appeals to me because it's complete and visually attractive to The Kid. On the other hand, it won't be as much fun as creating my own material. On the other hand, it won't be as stressful as creating my own material. ;)

The Boy wold be 4th grade. I think that this year, I've gotten him up to grade level and ready to really learn, so his splinter skills wouldn't be a problem. There's a sample lesson plan at the very bottom of this page: http://www.calvertschool.org/engine/cal/files/library/HS044SampleLesson.pdf

Calvert also has a sister program called Verticity, which is designed for children with "language-based learning different (LLD). If there was ever a child who was language-disabled, it would be The Girl. I would place her in 3rd grade. I think we've brought her up pretty close to 3rd grade, except for the language thing. This year, they only have 4th through 6th, but they're adding 3rd for the 2009-2010 year. A sample lesson is here: http://www.verticylearning.org/images/pdfs/v_samplelesson_g4_red.pdf The cost for the Verticity is $1,250, bringing the total up to around $2,000 for the pair. Ouch.

But I keep thinking there has to be a catch. Do you know what it is?

No comments: