Friday, October 24, 2008

Umm... Halloween party tonight

Y'know, I keep thinking of a nice, funny blog topic, but everytime I get near the computer, my mind goes blank.

Let's see... I have toads in the house. Cute little grey and black ones with sticky pads on their feet. My mom lets them in every time she comes through the front door, sometimes two at a time. I have two hiding in the fabric piles in the sewing room/office/workout room. Guess I should get to that soon before they expire in something drycleanable.

Tonight is Parents' Night Out at the church, and this time it's a Halloween party, complete with an outdoor scavenger hunt. Yeah, you heard right -- one autistic girl, wandering around in the dark, general chaos. Hmm. Maybe, umm, NOT! So, since The Husband is sick with yet another cold, it's going to be Parent's Night Out. Only this parent has to dress up in her SCA garb and go to a kids' Halloween party. (My favorite part? Besides the corset? Having to wash the dress again after the kids spill catsup on it. Yayyyy.) But I was just guilting myself over the fact that The Girl never has any fun. So pony up, mom!

The Girl, of course, wants to be a fairy princess. (What's new?) They sprung this party on me suddenly, so she basically has a choice of last year's costume (the hand-made, golden princess gown) or the year before last (the cheap, blue and pink barbie princess dress). She chose the blue and pink dress. Can't blame her -- the gold one is lovely, but the cheap one has netting and glitter. The good news is that it was way too big for her two years ago, and it fits now.

The Boy chose Darth Vader. Fortunately, since he's a boy, he doesn't care how it looks from behind. This means that the el-cheapo mask is just fine. Oh, and add in the "Vader heavy breathing" noise maker, and we're good to go. And I just put new batteries in it this morning.

So, that's one more holiday dealt with. I feel Christmas looming ahead of me already. No money. No toddlers that want Play-Doh and cheap plastic toys. Oh no. We're up to the Digital Age. Pray for me...

No comments: