Thursday, October 9, 2008

So many blessings...

More on the title later, but first about the psychiatrist's appointment today. I set a new record today -- I burst into tears almost immediately upon entering her office. How embarrasing. The Boy didn't want us to talk about any of the problems he's having, so The Husband took him to the lobby while I made my confession. "Forgive me Father, for I have a wacky-doodle son. Last week, he saw an ad for Shriner's hospital, and the sick children scared him so badly that he's been belly-crawling across the living room for a week. Sunday, a toddler tried to touch him, and he freaked out so that I had to bodily protect the toddler. He won't touch library books because he's afraid he'll get the thoughts of the myriad children that have touched the book in the past." The full confession was limited to a half-hour, but it's amazing how much ground a mom can cover in that amount of time. Anyway, she agreed that he's either OCD (insisting that old things, library books, and toddlers can make his brain change the way it thinks) or he's simply overly anxious all the time. Either way, we're trying sertraline (one of the prozacs) that should help with either of those. Time will tell.

Anyway, back to the blog title, I was checking out and chatting with the receptionist. We talked about how kids seem to be getting wackier every year. We talked about how I'm able enough to teach my kids at home, how it seems to be working so well (especially for The Girl), and how The Husband makes enough money that I was able to quit my job and homeschool, and she says to me, "So many blessings..."

I was floored. I left the building with the thought echoing in my grateful brain. So many blessings...

No comments: