Saturday, October 25, 2008

Halloween, in my middle ages

Well, The Girl only made it an hour into the Halloween party before begging to go home. I guess that's her showing initiative, which is good, right? (Okay, it's a reach, but I'll take my victories where I can get them.)

I should explain my "SCA garb" costume. I've never actually attended an SCA event, but I have a secret love for Renaissance fairs. I was into fencing in college, so I ran into a lot of the fun people that dressed on weekends, but I wasn't into it.

Anyway, I've always loved dressing up for Halloween. In high school, I once dressed as celery. (Obviously, I was thinner then.) In my 20's, I dressed as Tinker Bell.

Well, last year, I thought it would be fun to make a wench costume, just for fun, to wear for Halloween. One thing led to another, and I ended up researching and producing a hand-made, authentic Tudor commoner's dress, complete with chemise, corset, petticoat, and kirtle. I actually cut dozens of pieces of steel-spring boning into specific lengths and threaded them them into a corset. Don't even ask about making patterns. Still, I like to sew, and have a thing for all things Elizabethan, as long as I still have flush toilets.

But this year, I just found the costume heavy and uncomfortable, so I got to thinking, "What would be a good costume for a slightly overweight, middle aged mom?" And I'm still asking myself. I've eliminated many of my old favorites, based on my lack of waistline and age. I'm left with "aging hippie" and, what, "hag"? Oh Lord, help me... Does anyone have ideas?

No comments: