Tuesday, October 28, 2008

screaming, and all it implies

Why are my kids so darned contrary?

I have one that doesn't understand "turn the tv off now". Doesn't matter how soft or loud the command is; I get nothing, nada. I know she's autistic, but it makes me scream, and she doesn't care. I swear, Tuesday is trash day, and the guys haven't been by yet. I could still get those tv's to the curb in time. It's school time; turn the goddam thing off and leave it off. We ask before we turn it on, not after.

The other raised my hopes this morning by getting me to a web site with hieroglyphs, only to dash them by squirreling around and using it only to translate "llllllllllll" so it'll show 10 lions in a row. At least he didn't pee himself laughing this time.

Yesterday, he spent an hour reading to me while I dusted the house. Today he makes me want to scream. What's with that?

1 comment:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Put the TV away next time she turns it on without permission. My teen daughter is a chronic "forgetter." If she forgets to ask permission to use the computer, she loses the privilege for a day or two or three (depending on how grouchy I am at the time of the transgression and how abjectly apologetic she might be).

I can't say this approach cures the problem; it just keeps me from feeling angry and yelling. You know, that illusion of control?