Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A stranger in a strange land

Yet another epiphany dawns. The reason I feel so alone is that I'm a stranger in a strange land.

I was raised by a liberal-minded, college educated, professional working woman in the 60's and 70's -- by a true feminist. In 1968, she became all that and a divorcee. Whatever the men had, that was what we were supposed to want. Junior high summer  school: shop class or home ec? Puhleez! She put us in shop class. How I watched those sweet girls chatting over sandwiches while I was stuck with stupid boys. Story of my life.

So there I am, caught between the two worlds, neither fish nor fowl. My mother was the same, which is kind of ironic in a way.

But we gained some serious skills. And we learned how to talk to boys. And we went on to marry men we don't need for home repair. I guess.

Still, it's kind of lonely.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. You're a DIY gal going it alone. I never meet women in the aisles of Home Depot either.