Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Take it while you can...

I keep trying to find positive, count-my-blessings subjects to blog about, but life isn't cooperating right now. But, umm. Here goes.

Weather. The weather is gorgeous! The jasmine's in bloom, as the old song goes. We went to a minor-league ball game today. It was cloudy and 75, with a cool wind off the ocean. Aside from the alternating moaning and screaming of my way-too-old-for-this-shit kids, it was really nice. I got to see my homeschool girlfriends. They were really cool.

The private school sitting next to us was called "Lilies of the Field Academy". Much to our surprise, it was a small private school, consisting entirely of black kids. The critical mass of the kids was a band of little boys who spent most of the time joyfully bouncing around like pinballs. They were SO cute! Most of the dads were tattooed and/or dreadlocked, the moms were sharp-dressed, and the kids were in uniform. They were really nice, too. The woman next to me had a seven-month-old baby with her, and The Girl kept trying to pet the baby's skin. I apologized and told the woman that The Girl seldom sees black babies, and this one was particularly beautiful -- like milk chocolate, only move velvety. :) She chuckled. Silly white woman... Probably perms her hair to make it curl. Psht.

The rest of the trip was a total fiasco. Lots of junk food followed, but not enough to keep The Girl in the stadium past the 4th inning. I got to talk with my old buddies at the science museum booth outside the stadium while The Girl ate Italian ice (and The Boy assumed I was never coming back for him). They commiserated with me about the difficulty of teaching a girl who is too old for arts-n-crafts learning and not cognizant enough to learn abstract ideas. You remember last year's complaint -- I tell her that bugs breathe through their butts, and she gives me the look that says, "WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS?!" Yeah. I told them I was considering an iPad (with applecare+) and they said that might be a good idea because of the great education apps.

I spent the afternoon on the Oak Meadow website, looking at their third-grade curriculum. It looks great, except for the reading list: The Wizard of OzThe Velveteen RabbitCharlotte’s WebPippi LongstockingWinnie the PoohLittle House in the Big Woods, and Peter Pan. All are excellent books, but way above her reading level. *sigh* It's even above her listening level. What to do...

Anyway, the kids went to bed at 9:30 -- The Boy actually went (back) to sleep around 6:00 pm -- and The Husband and I are surfing the 'net together on the couch. He's singing ABBA's "Take a Chance" right now. :) So life is good for another few minutes. I'll take it while I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep counting those blessings!
Maybe those books will be at her listening level if they're abridged? And well -read?