Saturday, April 20, 2013

Manners

"Salt, please!"

It has a ring like, "More Park's Sausages, Mom!" Somehow, The Husband doesn't think that's bad manners. He says that The Boy does not have to sound like Little Lord Fauntleroy in order to get food. I say he does.

One of the perks of dinnertime is the Civilization Of the Next Generation, right? Most of the day, they can get away with, "You gonna eat that, or what?" But at dinner, the bar gets raised a bit.

Not that he doesn't resist any attempt on my part. Sometimes, he reflexively says, "thank you" and is appalled enough to complain that I have brainwashed him. Naturally, I simply laugh maniacally and say that it's part of my evil plan.

So, tell me, is it unreasonable to ask for, "May I have the salt, please?"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

No. "Please pass the salt" is also acceptable in my house. But SALT PLEASE is one step away from the Addams family where Wednesday's magic word is "now."