Friday, July 10, 2009

Relatives visiting -- the first in 7 years!

Well, it's been an exciting week. Brother-In-Law has been visiting his son in town this week, which actually means that BIL has been visiting us. Apparently, his son works nights and hasn't really internalized the concept of "host". He's just been hanging out in his living room, playing his games and watching TV. "Hey Dad, good to see ya -- pull up a chair."

The poor man had been in town for a week and hadn't made it to the beach yet, so we tried to drown him yesterday night. Yup, drove him to the beach and took him out past the breakers. We all (kids, husband, BIL and me) bobbed with the swells until they carried us back into the breakers and tried to smash us to oblivion. Glad to say that I was the only one that didn't get whacked by a good-sized wave. Yay me!

In homeschool news, The Box from Calvert School arrived. I haven't had the nerve to open it yet. So much rests on whether this looks good... I want to pick up The Girl's materials at a homeschool conference next week, so that they dovetail into The Boy's. I think I'm going to be a scumbag and let her piggyback on his Calvert science and history lessons. Even if I do put her in Verticity (their sister school for language-disabled), she'll won't be in the same grade. Oh, who knows!

In other news, The Man has been experimenting with his housework style. He actually leaves the dishes for me to deal with. Huh?! I have been telling him for years that if he cleans up after the rest of us all the time, we'll never learn to do it ourselves. Socks in the living room? I've never seen any -- although I do vaguely recall leaving some there last night. Hmm. Oh well!

So he's leaving me a FULL sink of dirty dishes in the morning. He's calling my bluff, and now I have to empty and refill it every morning, keep it filled all day, cap it off after dinner, and run it at bedtime. Yay. I "own" the dishes. I still "own" getting groceries, putting them away, figuring out what to serve, and cooking the food. Ech. I feel like a housewife.

Oh. Wait. I am!

No comments: