Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm holding out for a hero.

Has anyone else been following the new NBC show Merlin? Oh. I love it. It's clearly not created for my demographic group, but I love it.

Merlin is 20 years old, as is Arthur. Arthur's father is rigid, regal, and ruthlessly practical. He has also outlawed magic, which is a problem for the naturally-magically-gifted Merlin who has just arrived in Camelot. Much to their mutual chagrin, Arthur and Merlin are intertwined by Fate. It is Arthur's fate to rule and defend Camelot, just as it is Merlin's fate to protect and defend Arthur. Merlin enters the scene at a critical point in Arthur's life, as he is just beginning to pull away from his father's heavy-handed rule and establish himself as the heir to the throne of Camelot. Mmmmm. Arthur is brave, strong, and just coming into his own power -- a hero for the future. Merlin is just learning to control his magic and contain his impulses and exuberance -- a sage for the future.

And why does this show appeal to me? Well, I love anything medieval. (Yes, I know that Arthur is pre-medieval.) I love the legends of Morganna, the witch, the Lady of the Lake. And I love hunky men with British accents. But most of all, these men are Heroes. They are able, brave, strong, eternally devoted to their cause, and eternally young. The world is their oyster, but they already sense the responsibility and weight of the task that will consume their lives -- the care and defense of the people and lands of Camelot.

Why does this appeal to me? Yes, at 46 years old, I'm still holding out for a hero. With a nod to Bonnie Tyler:

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream

of what I need

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life


I woke up this morning with a startling revelation. In the words of LarryBoy, "I am that hero."

Bummer.

2 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Loved your disposal poetry :)

Plus, I love hero stories :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

Oh, I love that line from Larryboy. It flits through my head at the oddest times.

Have you read The Once and Future King (T.H.White)? One of my favorite books...