Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In which I still want to kill the cable company...

Okay, apparently, spending yesterday morning fixing our cable problem didn't do the trick. Maybe I have to sacrifice twin children to the television gods? I've got two I'm willing to let go right about now...

Here's the whole story. See, the digital conversion killed one of our PBS stations, and the Girl doesn't take to change well. It's an autistic thing. I've been woken by a screaming child for the past six days. First it was the meaningless message on the missing station for two days. Then it was the remaining station showing fund raising instead of cartoons. Then, once I did get the station back on the television (after buying the converter box and hooking it up EVEN THOUGH WE ALREADY HAVE CABLE), the missing station only works on one television -- the WRONG ONE! Even The Boy was no help. "I can't watch Arthur on the other television. It doesn't have closed captioning. What if I can't understand the words?!" How's about I knock some dust out of those ears for you, eh? Oh, the humanity of it all.

The sad thing is that everyone except the cable company says that the cable company COULD put the station back if they wanted to, but they only have to take one PBS station and decided to drop one -- the LOCAL ONE. Public pressure is mounting, but they really don't have to do anything if they don't want to. And if they can get $1 out of every customer with basic-basic cable, they will. Besides, maybe it'll be enough incentive to get us to upgrade to the $50 cable.

Now, the kids expect me to take them to the pool. I'm feeling spiteful this morning, but I think I still have to take them. Right? I mean, they won't let me sleep, so I might as well take them out and wear them out a little.

No comments: